NO OFFENCE - BLOGMAS DAY 4


'You only get offended by something if you agree with it yourself.' These were words that left my mouth a couple of days ago. There have been way too many times where I've seen people kick off over something someone has said about them. I was guilty of it in the past too, which is why I came to this conclusion. The only reason I used to get offended by something, was because deep down I agreed with it too. Like when people used to say I had to get some meat on my bones, I used to get very defensive, because I agreed with it. Nowadays, I absolutely love the way I look, and when people try to bring me down about how skinny my legs are, I just laugh it off. Since last Spring, something in me just clicked. I've not been afraid or shy to get my legs out. I’ve even bought a mini dress for my works Christmas party. Who am I? Haha.


What made me think about this whole thing was a couple of situations I had in the past, where I accidentally offended someone and then they tried to hit back at me later. Why would someone feel the need to hit back at you if they didn’t get offended with what you said in the first place? I noticed that the only reason they were trying to bring me down ‘unintentionally’ was because I had done the same to them. 

I've seen it with family members too, where someone will say a throwaway comment, even if it’s meant as a joke, and you can see the anger show up on the other persons face. As an outsider, it’s so visible and you can tell that the person that's being 'attacked', deep down thinks that about themselves; that they're not good enough, that they're not pretty enough, that they're not successful, that they need to lose weight, that they need to gain weight, and the list goes on! So next time you get offended by something someone says, whether they said it on purpose to hurt you, or as a passing comment, pay attention at how you react to it. Because I can almost assure you that if you don't agree with what the other person said, you won't get offended. You'll actually find it quite funny. But if you lash back at them, take a minute to realise how you're feeling inside. You probably have the same thought about yourself, and if you do, it's time to change it. 


Like I've mentioned on my blog a billion times before, I used to hate being skinny and I used to and still do get picked on for it, but I've grow to love my body as it is. I wear skirts and dresses all the time now. Last year, wearing skirts and dresses would've been unthinkable for me. So many people don't have their legs, they don't have their arms, they’ve lost their sight, they depend on someone to do things for them, and here’s me with all my limbs! How lucky are we if we do? We criticise the smallest things. Things that don't even matter. We need to look at the bigger picture. We're here and we're alive. Let's stop being our biggest critics and start being our biggest fans. Take that time where you're feeling like a failure or like you’re not good enough and turn it into something good. Listen to a song that lifts your mood, count your blessings, think about the things that made you smile today, or simply say ’thank you’. You’re alive after all! That’s the biggest blessing one can have. There's so much bad in the world already, let’s not add to it.

Also, sorry for the late post again. Writing posts on the day they need to go up is a bit of a challenge when you're doing late shifts haha! Hope you guys had a good day. Oh, and my outfit in these photos is from Pretty Little Thing. They do amazing co-ords!

Lots of love, SFS.


No comments

Post a Comment

© Sandra F. Silva

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig